Best Cheap Air Purifiers – Ideal For People Looking For Value and Quality
Like most things in life you get what you pay for. However, if you’re working on a tight budget and looking for a great value, cheap air purifier there are some fantastic units out there that will do the job.
They might be missing a few of the bells and whistles of the higher-end units on the market but make no mistake – these top 5 units will still do a terrific job.
In fact, some of them will even outperform units twice their price!
Germ Guardian continually produce great quality low-cost air purifiers.
The AC5000E is the best seller in its category and has 1000’s of raving reviews online.
Its 3 filter system includes a HEPA filter for removing allergy-triggering particles such as dust and pollen, a carbon filter to remove smells and odors, and finally an UV-C light to fight germs, viruses and mold spores.
This unit not only helps keep you and your family healthy, but also keeps nasty smells under control.
You only need to change the filter every 6-8 months. The design is tall (28in) and stylish with a compact footprint so can fit easily into even the smallest of rooms.
It has fan 3 speeds and includes an ultra quiet low-speed mode of operation. The controls are easy to work and situated conveniently on top of the unit for easy access, particularly useful if you have trouble bending over or have back pain.
- Outstanding value for money – it won’t break the bank if you are on a budget
- 3-speed operation for fast air cleaning and efficient air quality maintenance
- Quiet mode for bedroom and night-time operation – it won’t wake you up
- Cheaper build quality than some of the (albeit more expensive) similar models
- Genuine GermGuardian needs replaced every 6-8 months
Head to Amazon.com for the latest price
The AeraMax 90 has been specifically designed to address the needs of people who have allergies, and has received Asthma and Allergy Friendly Certification from the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
It has a slim upright design so will not take up lots of floor space in your home.
It also features a smart automatic detection system that continually monitors the air in the room and changes the fan speed or switches the unit on or off depending on the quality of the air inside.
This is a great money saver as it means you only use the filter when it’s required so it won’t need to be replaced as often. It also makes sure that you optimise the use of electricity so you don’t spend any more than you need to on bills to run the unit.
The unit has a 3-way filtration system:
- Carbon filter for capturing odours like from cooking, smoking, pets etc.
- A True HEPA filter for capturing tiny airborne particles such as pollen, pet dander, smoke, viruses, dust mites, germs etc. This helps reduce potential allergy-causing particles circulating around your home. The HEPA filter also has an antimicrobial treatment to stop mold, fungi and other nasty smell-causing bacteria from growing inside the filter.
- A PlasmaTRUE filter which uses ionised air (a very small electric charge) to catch any other airborne pollutants that might have got through the HEPA filter. This provides double protection!
- Ideal for small rooms – 100 – 200 square feet
- Its tall design gives it a very small footprint, which is great in smaller rooms where floor space is limited
- Excellent online reviews from satisfied customers
- Works very quickly, with some buyers online reporting a noticeable difference in as little as 15 minutes
- The air quality indicator light is bright in a darkened room, so may be a pain if used in a bedroom and need complete darkness to sleep – although sticking some colored tape over it solves the issues cheaply and easily
- Carbon filter needs replaced every 3 months and the HEPA filter every 6 months.
Check Amazon.com for the latest price
This unit has a clean white design which should fit in perfectly in most homes or offices.
It uses a carbon filter to capture odours like cigarette and cigar smoke, cooking, cat, dog and other pet related smells.
The main HEPA filter captures airborne particles like pollen, mold spores, dust and other particles that might agitate allergies.
Finally, the Ultra-Violet light is great at killing any viruses and bacteria that make it past the HEPA filter.
It’s a new unit on the market at the time of writing, and is one of the lowest cost units I’ve reviewed. It gets great feedback from users online.
It’s very simple to set-up and control. You basically unpack it, plug it in and turn it on and it’ll start generating clean, fresh air straight away.
One of the lowest cost units I’ve reviewed
The SereneLife covers a very reasonable 430 sq. ft. so packs a punch for such a small unit.
- Great user feedback on forums online
- Small size means it can be placed on a counter or on the floor so it’s flexible enough to fit in any small spaces or rooms
- Portable and has a large coverage area (430 square feet)
- Very quiet operation
- The carbon filter is expensive (compared to the unit prices) at around $30
My Review RatingGet the latest price at Amazon.com
This unit is a classic black design with easy-to-use controls.
It uses a HEPA filter for capturing small airborne particles such pollen, dust, mold and dander, smoke etc.
It also uses a carbon filter to remove odors from the air, such as smoke, cooking and pet smells.
It has a neat filter-life monitor so you know when the filters need replaced, and a 4-speed motor which allows you to adjust the speed to suit the air’s condition. For example, select fast when you first switch the unit on, and then down to one of the lower and quieter speeds to maintain the quality while keeping the noise levels low.
The Holmes unit offers a range of 4 filter pack options. This allows you to tailor the system to your own particular requirements. These include:
- Odor Eliminator
- Total Air
- Allergen Remover
- Performance Plus
Click here for more details at Amazon.com
- Works fast, with a noticeable difference to air quality within a few minutes
- On the lowest speed setting the unit is almost silent, so it’s great for bedrooms
- It offers a range of filter options to suit your lifestyle
- Air intake is on the top of the unit so it can be placed against a wall to limit the floor space it takes up
- The design is functional, but its box shape makes it looks very much like an appliance
- Some users online reported it being louder than expected when operated at the highest speed setting
My VerdictPrice Check at Amazon.com
5.) [New for 2017] InvisiClean 4–in–1 Air Purifier with True HEPA, Activated Charcoal Filter – IC-7028-Black
This all-new version updated for 2017 has upgraded motors and a more efficient air flow system for quieter operation and improved circulation of air around your room.
The InvisiClean Air Purifier is a tower design, measuring in at 28cm high, so it has a much smaller footprint in the room than most other units. This model is great in smaller rooms or where floor space is limited. That said, it’s powerful enough to be at home in medium and even larger rooms.
The tower design has a small footprint making it ideal for smaller rooms
The unit has a 4-in-1 air filtration system which provides clean fresh air on demand.
The active carbon filter captures larger particles and odors from pets, smoking, cooking etc. to keep your home smelling fresh and clean. The True HEPA filter then grabs 99.97% of harmful airborne particles. This includes pet dander, pollen and other allergen-causing particles.
This is especially great if you suffer from allergies, and many people online have reported improvements in their health after using these types of air purification systems, even after just a few days.
Next, the UV-C light attacks and kills tiny viruses and bacteria which are not captured in the HEPA filter. UV-C light works by attacking the viruses’ ability to affect any cells they come into contact with. This will help stop them spreading and potentially harming you and your family.
Finally, the InvisiClean uses an air ioniser. This technology is effective at eliminating airborne bacteria and works by creating an electric current that effectively acts like a magnet to attract and disable the particles and stop them circulating around the room.
- 4-in-1 unit uses a combination of filter technologies to generate really clean air
- 3 speed modes for quick air circulation or low noise operating – great for bedrooms
- Fantastic customer feedback online
- Timer function can be set to automatically switch the unit off after up to 8 hours, ideal for nighttime use
- When operating on the high speed fan setting some people claim it’s a little noisy
- Doesn’t come with a remote control